Our local UM churches offer the following ministries:
- Operation Help is a USDA food pantry open on the 2nd Saturday of every month, 10 am–12 noon at New Beginnings United Methodist Church, 32347 Chincoteague Road, New Church, VA 23415. Coordinator is Rev. Brenda Laws, 757-710-1729
- House of Prayer is a USA food pantry open the 1st Monday of the month from 9-11 am (including holidays) at the Bloxom Mission House of Prayer, 25585 Shoremain Dr., Bloxom, VA 23308. Coordinator is Melinda Dawn Thornton, 757-894-2014
- CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND: Christ United Methodist Church, 6253 Church Street, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336 food pantry provides short-term help mostly in the form of non-perishable items. Call Christ UMC office at 757-336-6394. The Chincoteague Island Food Bank (an arm of the Eastern Shore Food Bank) is open on the 3rd Thursday of each month at Union Baptist Church, 6365 Church St, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336. Call Union Baptist Church office at (757) 336-5018
- Opportunity Shop at Christ United Methodist Church, 6253 Church Street, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336 is open (Summer hours) Monday thru Friday, 10-4 pm and Saturday, 10 am -1 pm; (Winter hours –Oct. –March) Monday thru Saturday 10 am – 1 pm) offers very inexpensive used clothing, house wares and other items. The church will make allowances if someone cannot afford necessary items. Call Christ UMC office at 757-336-6394.
- Manna Cafe CI provides a FREE hot lunch EVERY Monday (11-1) in the social hall at Chincoteague Christ United Methodist Church, 6253 Church Street, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336 Join us for great food and fellowship! For more information, contact email@example.com
- Atlantic United Methodist Church, 10052 Atlantic Rd., Atlantic, VA 23303 has a food pantry to help with emergency needs. Call the pastor at 757-824-9827/571-438-3953.
- Franktown United Methodist Church, 7551 Bayside Rd., Franktown, VA 23354 has a USDA food pantry open 3rd Friday of each month from 11 am – 2 pm. Doors open at 10:30 am. Check in is on a first come, first served basis. Pre-packaged bags of food are based on family size. Each family may receive USDA Foodbank food once a month provided that they have not visited another pantry in the same month. Emergency needs: call the church office at 757-442-3481 (8-3 pm, Monday – Friday) and one of the Foodbank Pantry managers will arrange to meet the person at the church.
- Onley United Methodist Church, 25642 E. Main St, Onley, VA 23418 has a Coat Closet Ministry open specific Saturdays in November, December, January and February from 9-11 am. If an emergency situation should arise during a given month, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with details of coats needed and your contact information, and someone from the Coat Closet will respond. Donations: cash donations are accepted as well as coats, hats, scarves, jackets, and gloves during the year. If you wish to donate gently-used items, please either email email@example.com or call the church office at 757-787-4155 to leave a message, and a representative will arrange a time to meet you at church for drop off or arrange to pick-up. Cash donations may be sent to Onley UMC, P O Box 98, Onley, VA 23418; please note "coat closet" in the memo section of the check.
- Trinity United Methodist Church, 109 Plum Street, Cape Charles, VA 23310 site for "Cape Charles Food Pantry (ecumenical effort). Food Distribution: 2nd Wednesday of each month; Time: 1PM-3PM; Contact person: Gail Drebes (540) 847-1994