(These upcoming events should be on every church calendar. These events (except for specific clergy events) should be announced in every local church. These events should be included in every church newsletter and Sunday bulletins!)
Click HERE for a printed version of these events.
Click HERE for a printed version of these events.
- Saturday, March 2 from 10-12, 2019, DS Joyner has scheduled a General Conference Review session for clergy. Location: Bloxom Mission House of Prayer on 25585 Shore Main Dr, Bloxom, VA 23308. The theme is “General Conference—What Just Happened?” and the purpose will be a time for reporting and processing the events of the Called General Conference in St. Louis. We will close with worship and communion.
- Tuesdays, March 12, 19, 26, April 2, 2019, LSM Course: Devotional Life the the Wesleyan Tradition, sponsored by the E.S. District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries. It’s great for Lent as it is structured around Wesley’s “means of grace.” This course covers Scripture, the Lord’s Supper and fasting which were all major features in John Wesley’s devotional life. It's not just for lay servant/speakers; anyone can participate. More....
- On Saturday, March 23, 2019, 2 identical 2-hr workshops being offered -2 locations, 2 different times. Rev. Alan Layman, pastor of Grace UMC will present the NOW (Nurture, Outreach, Witness) model for small membership churches. He will share how NOW has worked in his church with the membership so you can learn how your church could benefit NOW with this model. Registration and more....
- Sunday, March 24, 2019, 10:30 am at Franktown UMC. Come, Celebrate 150 Years of UMW! Nancy Walsh, Virginia Conference UMW Vice President will be the Guest Speaker on Sunday March 24th during Franktown UMC's Worship Service (10:30 A.M.) Brunch will follow the service. United Methodist Women from all over the Shore, please join us for a great day of history, celebration and fellowship and all we ask is that you let us know if you are staying for lunch so we can make sure we are preparing enough food. Just call our church office (757-442-3481) with the number who will be attending by March 19. Looking forward to seeing our UMW sisters. Mark your calendars! --Debbie Bridges, Franktown UMW President
- Saturday, April 13, 2019: Eastern Group (Eastern Shore, Elizabeth River, James River York River) Location: Ebenezer UMC, Suffolk. Plan for “Chat and Chews 3.0” in 2019 Bishop Sharma D. Lewis will be holding her Chat and Chew sessions around the conference with clergy and laity once again in 2019. This year there will be four regional dates. More information will be forthcoming.
- Saturday, May 18, 2019, 9:30 am-3:30 pm, Eastern Shore Vision Day at Franktown UMC, 7551 Abyside Road, Franktown, VA 23354. IMAGINE CHURCH FOR THOSE WHO DON'T DO CHURCH! A "Fresh Expressions Vision Day" is a one-day training event that provides an opportunity to discover what it means to be the Church in new and creative ways, hear from Fresh Expressions practitioners, learn how to renew existing congregations through fresh expressions of church, and discern what this could mean for your region, community, or neighborhood. There is active discussion as well as opportunity to build networks and relationships amoung those in your area. Click here for more information and registration: http://www.vaumc.org/ncfilerepository/FreshX/FXEasternShoreEvent.pdf
- Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 6:30-7:30 pm, Oyster Room at the Onley Town Center (25020 Shore Parkway, Onley). Orientation in preparation for the 2019 Annual Conference Session in Roanoke. All clergy, lay members and interested United Methodists are invited.
- Saturday, July 20, 2019, (time and place on Eastern Shore TBA). Boomer Rebirth Workshop with Martha Stokes who will present "What if Boomers Reinvented Senior Adult Ministry and Changed the Church?" Save the date!
- Saturday morning, November 2, 2019, David Tanner, EA (Enrolled Agent, Federally Authorized) Tax Service will present Tax worshops for churches and pastors! David is a retired U.M. clergy in the Virginia Conference who is located in Roanoke. Several of our clergy are already using David Tanner's service. Treasurers, Finance Committees and anyone interested will want to participate in a Tax course that will help them with Federal tax documents and more. There will be time for discussion/questions! Stay tune for times, location, registration and more info!
- Thursday, November 14, 2019, 9-3 pm 5 Talent Academy "Engage 2019: Community Transformation", Eastern Shore live stream location TBA. It can be hard to keep a positive attitude whil planting a church or revitalizing a congregation, especially if you begin by comparing yourself to the "heroes" of church growth. "Eight Virtues of Rapidly Growing Churches" presents discoveries and give learning opportunities on how you can tap into a sense of hope about the new things you can do to grow your church plant or to rejuvenate your existing congregation. Save the date! More information soon!
- Saturday, March 21, 2020. Plan now for our district's "Spring Training"! Lots of new training workshops for everyone! Save the date! More info soon!
- Every Monday 10 am, Lectionary Group Meetings for pastors at McDonald's, Onley (25297 Lankford Hwy, Onley, VA 23418) with group leader, Rev. Paul Oh. For more information contact email@example.com